Nutritious Food Recipes: Breakfast Scramble Recipe
This breakfast has it all! Fiber, vitamins, and minerals from the veg and beans to satisfy and nourish you, lots of protein from the eggs to keep you full, and complex carbs from the tortilla and beans to keep you energized and your brain firing all day long! The healthy fat in the avocado and cooking oil adds to the overall satisfaction factor and supports your heart and brain. It’s my go-to when I want a savory start to my day.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup liquid egg whites or the whites of 2 eggs
- 1-1 1⁄2 tsp water
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 zucchini, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup canned pinto or black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 corn tortilla
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Mexican blend recommended)
- Vegetable oil
- Salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, and cayenne to taste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 avocado, sliced
- Lightly beat eggs, egg whites, water, and seasoning in a small bowl and set aside.
- Lightly coat a small frying pan with oil and set over medium heat. Add the veggies and saute for about 5 minutes or until lightly golden and tender.
- Add beans and continue to heat for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add egg mixture and cook through, stirring frequently.
- Place the tortilla on a plate and then the cooked eggs on top.
- Top with cheese, salsa, and avocado.